Octopus are very intelligent creatures and with eight legs and a bunch of friends they are also very good at cleaning up – even if the mess isn’t theirs!
Anne Helen Donnelly has created another fun book with a much loved character – Ori the octopus and this time he has a little message for all of us!
Meet Ori – a friendly Octopus who loves his underwater home, just not the rubbish that seems to be hanging around. Together with his friends they pile up the rubbish that is hanging around their watery houses but alas as the week goes by, the rubbish falls from the piles and scatters across the ocean again – encouraging them to problem solve a little bit more and work out where rubbish should go.
Children will love the bright illustrations, the use of alliteration and repetition and the simple message of cleaning up after ourselves.
Ori teaches us all that rubbish can not only go in the bin but also be recycled, reused, repurposed, composted or even better – refused!
Ori also shows us that teamwork is one of the best ways we can make the world we live in a better place.
So what else can you do with this picture book?
Free activities from Anne’s website: http://www.annehelendonnelly.com/activities/
And some ideas from me:
– Explore alliteration of the animals names. What other names could these animals have? Can you think of names for other ocean animals?
– Explore repetition throughout the book. What other actions do Ori and his friends do that could use this type of language?
– Link all the different types of rubbish and where they go when we need to get rid of them.
– Explore your own bin: What is inside your bin after one week of being at home?
– Think: How can you create less rubbish in your bin? Try these activities in your home via my dropbox: (Please note this is in very very draft form!)
Love this review? Join my facebook group where we delve deeper into these issues facing children, parents and teachers.
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP FOR PARENTS AND TEACHERS WHERE WE EXPLORE BIG ISSUES AND HOW TO BEST TALK ABOUT THEM WITH KIDS.
[…] Ori’s clean up […]
[…] Review here: Meet Ori – a friendly Octopus who loves his underwater home, just not the rubbish that seems to be… […]