What would happen if sharks disappeared completely?
Do we really need them? Can we live without them?
All these questions will be answered in this cleverly written and illustrated book by Lily Williams – If Sharks disappeared: Why sharks are important for our whole planet.
A healthy ocean is home to many different creatures and if we get rid of any one of these creatures the ocean will be unbalanced and possibly have devastating effects on other animals, sea life and then life out of the ocean.
This book spells this devastation out in an easy to digest way for young children. They will not feel worried, fearful of the future or helpless – they will feel informed and powerful.
Lily Williams tells us the facts and tells us what will happen if we don’t do anything about overfishing, shark nets and ocean pollution but she doesn’t leave us hanging – she also tells us what we can do if we want to ensure the world stays balanced and healthy.
Excellent facts and suggestions to stop shark numbers falling are outlined in the final pages and are a great place to have further discussions with children.
The end pages of the book show the different types of sharks that inhabit our oceans – a great place to see the diversity of these scary looking creatures!
So perhaps if you are a little afraid of sharks, love swimming in the ocean and eat fish on a regular basis – this is a book for you and your family as after reading this you will hopefully look at the humble shark just with a little more empathy.
So what else can you do at home?
– Eat little fish. Many fish are caught in large nets so therefore sharks, dolphins and whales are also caught up in the mess. If you need to eat fish choose types that are sustainably and ethically sourced.
– Go down to your local beach and look out for any pollution that might effect the animals that live in the ocean. Pick it up and work out what you can do with it.
SCIENCE – LIFE CYCLES
– Draw up a food chain and work out who eats who in the ocean and what might happen if one of these creatures disappeared.
– Where do sharks live? Which sharks live near you? Work out how they live, what they eat and how long they live for.
– Where in the world do different sharks live? Is there anywhere where sharks cannot live?
– Choose another animals and work out what would happen if they disappeared. Write a text similar to this one or in story form to teach others about the problems that would arise.
– Look in the media for articles about sharks. Are they positive or negative? Collate and see how the media is making us think about sharks.
BUY NOW FROM FISHPOND – CLICK IMAGE BELOW
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP FOR PARENTS AND TEACHERS WHERE WE EXPLORE BIG ISSUES AND HOW TO BEST TALK ABOUT THEM WITH KIDS.