Let’s go down to the silver sea, come on, I’ll hold your hand.
A magical adventure written by Alison Lester, Jane Godwin and the children at The Royal Children’s Hospital , The Silver Sea, is an exploration of life under the sea, it’s magic and wonder.
Two small children slip out of their house and take to the sea – looking after each other as they explore a world they have never seen before. They splash with dolphins, swim with turtles and ride upon a whale. They explore the ocean with wonderment and awe and with their joint courage they explore the deep dark depths to find luminous monsters and the reedy home of sea dragons.
The two return back to land with new knowledge of the hidden world below and perhaps with a new outlook on life now that they know the many secrets hidden underneath.
Each page is filled with an abundance of colour through the collage of illustrations drawn by the children of TRCH.
We spent quite a bit of time looking how different animals had been drawn and coloured in and wondered who may have created them.
We also pondered about the names written on the end pages and talked about if these children were well enough to leave hospital yet.
This collaboration must have brought a lot of joy to the children who were stuck in hospital and it is wonderful to see projects like this taking place.
The Silver Sea by Alison Lester and Jane Godwin is a colourful story that you’ll love to read and all the profits will go towards helping the children at RCH to have more fun while their getting better in hospital.
What else can you do with this story?
– Explore the different art techniques used in this story: stencilling, water colour, wax crayon resist
– As a class write a story and create a collage to match in with the theme of each page. Remembering that the individual differences add more to the story.
– This is a sweet adventure story. Create a story about a place you would love to explore. Who would you take with you and what would you do?
– Rhyme. Rhyming books are difficult to create. Can you create a rhyming story about an adventure you would like to go on?
– Write a description of your favourite ocean animal. It may be one in the story or one they haven’t included.
– Explore the different life cycles of sea animals.
– Learn about the life cycles of animals that live in the darkest parts of the ocean.
– How can we make sure our oceans stay as beautiful as this one in The Silver Sea? Write down 5 things you can do in your life to help the ocean stay this way.
BUY FROM FISHPOND NOW – CLICK BELOW
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP FOR PARENTS AND TEACHERS WHERE WE EXPLORE BIG ISSUES AND HOW TO BEST TALK ABOUT THEM WITH KIDS.