Have you ever wondered what is underneath the road, path or bush track you are walking on?
Have you ever dug down just a little and noticed a change in soil type or creatures?
Well this just might be the book for you! The street beneath my feet by Charlotte Guillain and Yuval Zommer is not only a colourful and informative book, it also folds out to around three metres in length!
As you unfold each page you are taken deeper and deeper underground , exploring different life forms, buried rubbish, fossils, ancient artefacts, underground rivers and different types of rock.
This book will ignite so many conversations of how we use the underground world for our own benefit and perhaps might make you think what we are destroying in order to get to rocks like coal which we seem to think we desperately need.
Children will love to see the hot lava and magma which bubbles underneath our feet and the glorious gemstones which are created by this heat.
Rocks and different parts of soil are so important to the health of plants and animals which live on earth and through reading this book you can really talk about the importance of looking after the soil by thinking about what you throw in the bin, what you place down the drain and how you dig things up!
But overall I think the winning aspect of this book is the fact that is does fold out and the children can move through the soils – gaining some idea of the depth soil goes to.
A great read and one for budding environmentalists, scientists, historians and geographers!
So what else can you do?
– Have a read of another book about soil
– Dig a hole and look at how the colour changes as you go down. Look at what is in the soil sample – animals, insects, rocks or rubbish?
– Conduct your own science experiment and see the best type of soils for plants to grow in. Learn about how much of a role soil plays in the life of a seed. Try sand, dry dirt, wet dirt, potting mix, compost etc. Place them all in the same location and give them a similiar amount of water. Predict and then watch!
– Explore the rocks we use for buildings, science and energy. Where do they come from? How do we get them out? Are they running out and are there alternatives?
– Could you create another book in this style? What could the topics be?
Want to become a global guardian?
Join now and receive 10% off with my unique code: GGPVanessa
Buy Biome products now and keep your home and the world sustainable and eco friendly
Reblogged this on Pearlz Dreaming and commented:
What a wonderfully themed book! Thanks for this review Empower Blog.
[…] that stretch out like this (see the street beneath my feet) allow for children to share reading through movement and discussion. They can talk to each other […]