Just recently I have heard some parent’s discussing reading and how they really want their child to start reading longer fiction books and no more picture books.
Junior fiction books are wonderful as are fiction but there is always room for a picture book!
Why do we need picture books even as older readers?
- Picture books allow us to see what someone else is thinking through art.
- Picture books can teach us about big issues in a short amount of time.
- Picture books allow us to have a deep and meaningful discussion in a short amount of reading time.
- Your child will become a better reader through picture books. It is short and achievable and there are pictures to support learning new words.
- Picture books are fun – and we want reading to be fun always!
- Picture books develop your child’s language skills.
- Picture books are great for those with shorter attention spans.
- The skills of visual literacy are developed through reading picture books.
- We can read lots of picture books in half an hour!
- It is always wonderful to have a huge picture book stack on the bedside table – it inspires your child to dream, imagine and create!