Finally – Woolworths have woken up and possibly started to take lead in the war on waste – something they should have done a long time ago!
Need some books to inspire why we need to #banthebag?
Here is the link to the article: Click here
If you haven’t been paying attention there have been numerous petitions going around about banning the bag under the hashtag #banthebag with thousands of signatures being added every day.
Woolworths and Coles have up to this point placed the use of the plastic bag back on the consumer – saying that they want to give consumers the choice – but many consumers will never change unless they are made to, convenience of the plastic bag is just too easy. It is great to see that Woolworths have now stepped up and said the single use plastic bag is on the way out and more durable plastic bags and the even better option of hessian will be on offer.
However – We need to make sure that we don’t fall into the trap of always buying the reusable plastic bag as they too have a shorter life expectancy. We need to remember to bring our reusable bags – preferably material that is long lasting (hessian is a great option) so that we are not always purchasing bags out of convenience and forgoing the extra 15 cents per bag.
BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR BIN LINERS? I hear you cry…
Here are a few options:
- Line your bin with newspaper or any strong scrap paper.
- Get yourself a compost bin, worm farm and/or chickens so you have little or no scraps in the bin.
- Buy less products with plastic rubbish or recycle the plastic at redcycle points.
- Nappies – make the switch to cloth nappies and washable wipes
- Menstrual products – make the switch to a menstrual cup and washable pads!
- Or check out biome for some great biodegradable bags.