Biodiversity is essential. Feral animals are not – What do you think?
Zoo’s are a necessary evil. Discuss.
Panda’s and Bamboo – what do we need more of? Create a case for this.
No, don’t wake the panda, whatever you do!
Pandamonia is full of rhythm and rhyme, joyful pictures and funny animal antics. Chris Owen has created a humorous story which asks to be read all the way to the end in a energtic fashion. The illustrations by Chris nixon harmonises with the story, providing bold and striking prints, adding to the party atmosphere.
There is lots of fun to be had with this book as you explore rhyme and readers theatre – a great book for practising expression. You can also compare the words Pandamonium and pandemonium. I’m sure you will come up with some great comparisons of the words!
But how does it link to sustainability?
- Pandas – what are they? Where do they live? What do they look like?
- Panda’s are endangered animals – Why?
- Research bamboo and find out how long it takes to grow. Could you grow your own?
- Many people are now using Bamboo as a type of flooring – is there an issue with this? Is Bamboo flooring better than plastic flooring or wooden flooring? Compare and contrast the different types of flooring you can use and weigh up the costs to the environment.
- How would you feel if you had to eat all day to survive? Are there any other animals in the world that do this?
- What if you could only save one endangered species in the world….which one would you choose? Explain and outline how and why you would do this.
Project – Geography, Science, problem solving.
- TASK: You are in charge of saving some wild pandas from extinction but a local company needs the land to expand their farming for local food. Devise a plan so that panda’s can be saved from extinction but the local people can have food and jobs.