A River by Marc Martin
How is a river like our body’s circulatory system?
How is the river in this story like an idea?
Rivers have opened up the world and closed them off. Discuss.
From a window and the young girls imagination takes the reader on a journey of the river from the busy, smoggy city to the calm and colourful jungle.
We see cities, farms, green hills, jungles and mangroves.
Animals are hidden within the landscape which give time for wandering eyes to pause on the picture that little bit longer.
Through this story you can learn about the endless cycle of rivers and the water within them.
It is mesmerizing and meditative, inspiring and illuminating.
So what can you do?
- Find out about your local river. Where is it? Where can you access it? Where does it come from and where does it go?
- How can we clean a river? Is it possible? What doesn’t belong in a river?
- What is a river? Is it possible to live without rivers?
- List the landscapes which the boat went past. How are they the same and different?
- Collect some leaves. Categorise the leaves into size, shape, colours, lines and points!
- Use these leaves to re create a picture from Marc Martin’s book, The River!
- Collect some rain – where can you put the rain? How much was collected? You could keep a rain diary over a month or more.
Enjoy – let me know what you think!